Apart from being a VERY EFFICIENT heat source friction provides an EFFECTIVE SURFACE CLEANING action. Various foreign inclusions, surface oxides and absorbed films that oppose formation of bonds are destroyed & removed by abrasion produced by friction. HENCE, THE WELD IS STRONGER.
OTHER KEY ADVANTAGES
- Fine-grained structure that cannot be obtained through other welding processes
- Very high static strength
- The welds are leak-tight
- Minimal Heat Affected Zone (HAZ)
- Short welding times facilitate improved efficiency
- The rotation symmetric heat application, hence high dimensional accuracy.
- Autogenous – No filler material used, the process solely relies on inter-molecular bonding with the original material
- Machine controlled process, complete automation including error rectification
- Parameter monitoring and controlling possible
- Independent of operator skill or attitude.
- Joint preparation
- Low energy & power requirements
- 3Ø load on motor & cosψ ≈ 0.85 for arc & flash cosψ ≈ 0.4 to 0.6
- No special power supplies required
- No objectionable smoke, fumes or gases, or weld spatter, hence extremely safe conditions
- No consumables, no fluxes
- No solidification defects
- Dissimilar metals welded. e.g. Al-Cu, Al-Steel
- 2-100 times faster than conventional welding
- Superior to other welding methods from Technical & Economical perspective
- Unusually high efficiency coefficient
- Simplifies manufacture of complex forging, saves expensive materials